07/01/2007

And the winner isn't...


Its with a crushing sense of inevitability that I write the following: here are my albums of the year. You've gotta though, haven't you? Now I should really provide you with links and mp3 samples etc, but I liked a lot of albums and it's too much effort, so I instead I am just going to suggest that you seek out any you haven't heard. Overall I think it's been a pretty excellent year, and next year looks good with forthcoming releases from LCD Soundsystem, Gruf Rhys, !!!, Dizzee Rascal, and Guns 'n' Roses of course.

1) Joanna Newsom - Ys
2) MSTRKRFT - The Looks
3) TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
4) Various - Tropicalia: A Brasilian Revolution In Sound
5) Knife - Silent Shout
6) Spank Rock - Yoyoyoyo
7) Hot Chip - The Warning
8) Tom Waits - Orphans
9) Blow - Paper Television
10) Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

And some other favourites in no particular order:
Beirut - Gulag Orkestra
Scott Walker - The Drift
Cansei De Ser Sexy - Cansei De Ser Sexy
Ghostface - Fishscale
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Sufjan Stevens - Hark! Songs For Christmas
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
Kelis - Kelis Was Here
Pharrell - In My Mind
Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
Nellie Mackay - Pretty Little Head
Girl Talk - Night Ripper
Rogers Sisters - Invisible Deck
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Tiga - Sexor
Sparks - Hello Young Lovers
Jim Noir - Tower Of Love
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
Cat Power - The Greatest
Beck - The Information
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
Isobell Campbell And Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
Adem - Love And Other Planets
The Spinto Band - Nice And Nicely Done
Prince - 3121
Justin Timberlake - Future Sex/Love Sounds
Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
Cornelius - Sensuous
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Johnny Cash - American V: A Hundred Highways
Gnarls Barkley - Gnarls Barkley
Tapes 'n' Tapes - The Loon
Xiu Xiu - The Air Force
LCD Soundsystem - 45:33


It would be tremendous if you left your own personal top 10/12/54 in the comments section, and you can tell me how wrong I am. And I am not really looking forward to Guns n' Roses, it's going to be rubbish.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having browsed my cd shelves, looks like I wasn't on the 2006 pulse - what a surprise!
My top 4 are: (I only had 7 which fit the criteria!)

Tom Waits - Orphans
Cat Power - The Greatest
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
Sebadoh - III

I have also enjoyed the first halves of both the Tortoise/Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Archie Bronson Outfit's albums, but didn't feel that either warranted being in my top albums list!
Thank you and good night. Zed x

Sunny Walks said...

Nice list...I obviously haven't heard all of these albums...I haven't even heard of some of the bands.

You've already seen my list my friend...but having just recently gotten hold of Cat Power and Cansei de ser Sexy they might just have forced their way in there.

Anonymous said...

1. yellow house
2. ys
3. trials of the van occupanther

David N said...

Albums are sooo over, dude. They're like, sooo 90s. Get over it. Its all about the choons now.

Or in other words, you already read my list. Or maybe you didn't. But you know where it is. Get with the clicky.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

no i am sticking to albums, thank you. i won't go the way of the shuffle.

Anonymous said...

Hi James.

1. Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
2. Midlake - The Trial of Van Occupanther
3. Alfie - Crying at Tea-time
4. Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust
5. Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat
6. Beck - The Information
7. Jim Noir - Tower of Love
8. Crimea - Tragedy Rocks
9. The Meligrove Band - Planets Conspire
10. Absentee - Schmotime

and The Beatles Love album because I'm a big softy.

Your friend in time
James

Sunny Walks said...

That bloke james who put broken social scene at no.1 has lots of taste.

I imagine he dresses in fine clothes and drinks only the best vintage.

Like me.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

hes a cravat wearing gentleman. and i liked that beatles album too, it was like the beatles remixed in a brian wilson smile style, which is no bad thing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the 'anonymous' person who put Midlake as their 3rd album of the year....I was intrigued by the album name and found 'Roscoe' on Last.fm. Now I want to hear more! Going by that track. they sound like the mighty Fleetwood Mac, which is fine by me!

Anonymous said...

Here is my top 5 albums of 2006

1. Joanna Newsom - Ys
2. Joanna Newsom - Ys
3. Joanna Newsom - Ys
4. Joanna Newsom - Ys
5. Joanna Newsom - Ys