21/04/2007

Apple Records


What's the worst thing about Oasis? Where does one begin? For me, their worst crime was a lack of ambition. There is nothing wrong with being obsessed with another band, particularly when that band are as good as the Beatles. But to focus in on only one aspect of their songwriting and ignore everything else was just lazy and lame-o. The thing that made the Beatles so good was the fact that they pushed themselves, which gave us Tomorrow Never Knows, I Am The Walrus, Glass Onion et al. Oasis couldn't be bothered with all that risky business, they are happy to generate third rate pastiches of Rubber Soul b-sides until they die.

The Beatles influence has taken many varied forms over the last 40 odd years, from Ozzy taking Helter Skelter to it's logical conclusion, to ELO's shiny sky blue pop. The latest album to follow this well trodden path is by Apples In Stereo. Although they have been around since the early 90's I have only just heard them for the first time, and the album, New Magnetic Wonder, is everything I want from Beatles inspired album, with a healthy dose of The Beach Boys, Velvet Underground, Todd Rundgren and yes, ELO, on the way. Its the kind of music that makes me strut around my flat, singing along with all those winning melodies and catchy hooks. In short, it's a great (power) pop record.

Apples In Stereo - Can You Feel It?

Apples In Stereo - Energy

4 comments:

David N said...

I know that Oasis liked the Beatles, but I could never hear all that much Beatles in them. They took that Revolver guitar sound and made it a little louder, and Liam obviously aped Lennon's whine to lesser effect, but apart from that I never really saw it. But the Gallaghers went on and on about the Beatles, and their album covers were "psychedelic" in a cheap, shallow way, and they used strings in a music-hall Beatlesesque manner a couple of times and a lazy music press were happy to have a comparison spoonfed to them.
Blur seemed to be more Beatlesesque in Albarn's vaulting ambition and the greather breadth of their references and sound.

But then no band have ever really really sounded like the Beatles (except the Rutles). Coz the Beatles were too many bands, their career encompassed too many shifts in style, their later work especially is incredibly eclectic and scattered. So, yes, ELO sound like a certain kind of Beatles song. The Liars sound like a certain type of Beatles song. The entire Power Pop genre - especially Cheap Trick and Jellyfish, for instance - sounds like a certain type of Beatles song. XTC, in their mid 80s work, sound like a certain type of Beatles song. As do Elliott Smith, Crowded House, Guided By voices, World Party, the Boo Radleys and a million other bands.

I've heard about the Apples In Stereo for years and never heard any of their records, but they sound like the kind of band I should like.

And for all that you obviously hate Oasis, you must bow before Definitely Maybe. Great record.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why, but I fail to have any enthusiasm for this band. All I keep hearing are Supergrass, Weezer and Oasis influences.... I am left numb from the experience. Of course I retain the right to change my mind.... ;-)

I'm not bowing to Definitely Maybe either - but Slide Away's a good song.

Dave - I can almost see you shaking your head in disappointment!!

David N said...

Weirdly, I think Slide Away is the worst song on that album. Columbia being the best. The rest of their career you can just write off though.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Having listened to this album a couple of times now, I definitely think it's up your street Dave. I know you have a bit of a thing for powerpop.

Can't agree with your appreciation of Definitely Maybe, though. I just never got Oasis from the first note. I was a real indie kid until the emergence of Britpop, which left me completely cold (it must be my complete lack of patriotism). I wandered around without a scene of my own for a couple of years, until Fatboy Slim got me into the Beach Boys (I'll explain that soon).

Zoe I agree that it does sound like those bands (well, not Oasis), but despite that I still like it. Go figure.