18/07/2007

Electroma


Anyone who has read this blog more than once will know that I have a slight obsession with Daft Punk, and I am finding that this obsession is growing despite the fact they haven't released a record for more than two years. Not to say they haven't been busy, there is the huge Kanye West single Stronger, the everlasting tour, and their new movie, Electroma. I was going to write all about said movie, which I watched a couple of weeks ago, but then the Guardian wrote this and the Observer Music Monthly wrote this, thus saying everything I wanted to say but with like proper words and that. So instead I'll simply say that it's a very strange, dialogue-free, grotesque, possibly pretentious, beautifully shot, very slow and bizarre movie with no music by Daft Punk in it. Suffice to say, your mum probably won't like it. I did, and I would encourage anyone who doesn't mind watching films where not a lot happens to see it.

It does have some very fine music in it, Eno standing out in particular, along with this beauty:

Todd Rundgren - International Feel

8 comments:

David N said...

Back in the olden days before I crossed the water from the motherland, I worked in an office. A few offices, actually. In which I encountered many unhappy office-minions. One of whom, literally seconds after our introduction on my first day in the office, before I'd even gotten comfortable in my seat at the cubicle cluster, before my computer had even finished turning itself on, asked who I supported, then if I liked Todd Rundgren.

I did. Power Pop fan that I was, I had "Something/Anything", "A Wizard, A True Star", "Todd" and "The Hermit of Mink Hollow". Plus the first Nazz album. They're all patchy records, full of great pop moments beside awful indugences and throwaway filler. But those great pop moments are more than worth it. International Feel is one such moment. Awesome song.

Needless to say, my new colleague couldn't believe his luck. I was the first person he'd met in that office who'd even heard of Rundgren (He always referred to him as "todd", the way Take That fans refer to all of them by their first names).

What Eno is in Electroma? Is that your second visit to a cinema this year or did you procure it over the net? Is this gonna be the only comment, again?

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I think that's a very accurate assessment of 'Todd's' albums. when they're bad, they're pretty bad, but when they're good, my word they're special. It would have been better if he had referred to him as 'the Todd'.

In answer to your questions:

The Eno song according to IMDB is 'In Dark Trees' from 'Another Green World'.

As you know Dave, I am vehemently opposed to the illegal acquisition of copyright material over the internet. I just turned on my computer one day, typed in Daft Punk movie and it started playing. Ain't computers amazing?

Yes

David N said...

In Dark Trees... Ahh. Lovely, eerie song.

Olivier Assayas uses Eno a lot in his films. Which is good. And hes French, like Daft Punk. Err. If you ever get a chance to see "Clean", then do so. Metric are in it, as themselves. So is Tricky. And David Roback. Lots of Eno on the soundtrack. Do a post on Eno, oh go on.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Is that a request? Wow it's my first ever, so as such, must be obeyed. One Eno post coming right up...

Sunny Walks said...

That's not your first request, I requested a blog on footballers with pop careers yonks ago.

It still hasn't turned up.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

This is true. believe me nothing would make me happier to than to post the Goldstone Rap on here, but it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. Sorry.

David N said...

You could at least manage the Anfield Rap, though, surely? Hoddle & Waddle?

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Errm well, I don't believe I have them lying around, let me just check.









Nope.