01/12/2007

This is the news...


As you may have noticed, I have spruced things up a bit round here. I hope you like it.

So I finally relented and joined a gym. We all give in at some point. But the time had truly come, I wasn't getting any exercise and I needed to shape up, because as some of you will know, once you pass that milestone of 30 things start to hurt more for no apparent reason. Twice a week I have punished myself in a room full of bizarre contraptions (I'm sure they have a rack). So after two weeks, what I have gained? Well, I look the same and I feel the same. The first time I went, I thought I was going to die. Now, I just think I'm going to have a heart attack. So as you can see, there is some progress. It's obviously too early to get any real benefits from it, and I'm sure in three months time I will be some kind of awesome muscular man-machine. But at the moment all I have gained is the knowledge that I don't just have a dodgy back, but I also have a dodgy knee and shoulder too.


I went to see LCD Soundsystem a couple of weeks ago. If you don't know, I love LCD more than I love pao de queijo, and that's a lot. So obviously they were awesome, and they did all of my favourite songs, including future classics Someone Great and All My Friends, epic 12 minute freak outs Us Vs Them and Yeah, and the lighters aloft finale of New York I Love You. I was particularly interested to see how they would go down in Brasília, as this type of band never comes here, and the turn out was pretty respectable, although the venue was ridiculously oversized. This town is the richest in Brazil, and social appearances are very important. You have to look good all the time (particularly if you are a woman) and you cannot ever show any semblance of poverty. People can be judgemental, and being seen in the right place is very important. The fact that an LCD gig would somehow become a place for these peacocks to strut both amused and scared me. There's nothing worse at a gig then finding yourself in dance mode in a room full of statuesque posers. What actually happened was that all the people with good taste in Brasília congregated at the front and cut loose, and the posers, in the main, stood around at the back.

Thanks to the size of the venue, there was plenty of space, so when I say cut loose, I mean really shake it, not get all squashed and shake your head. And I have to say, I really went for it, as I haven't danced for a year since Daft Punk. It really reminded me of the sheer pleasure of dancing to music you love, it's a real primal thing, difficult to verbalise. So I won't, but if you like dancing, you'll know what I mean. And if you haven't done it in a while, go on, draw the curtains and shake it.

My current gig frenzy continues with Tom Zé on Sunday (three in just over a month!), I'll let you know how that was next week.

5 comments:

jonwclifford said...

May have just messed up my first ever blog comment Mr T. Not sure whether I actually posted it or not. Apologies whilst I get up to speed and stop pressing random keys on my keyboard!

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

There you go, published. And welcome aboard. So what did you want to say?

David N said...

Yellow for Brazil? I jumped to your site and got a bit of a fright, but its alright, I'm ok now. I like it.

I can't imagine you dancing. Unless, maybe doing the robot.

Sod gyms - football. You know I'm right.

Sunny Walks said...

I'm not sure about the yellow and green thing, obviously it's appropriate and different...it's just that it also makes my eyes go a bit funny.

Your gym experiences sound like my first few weeks at football. And every week after.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Glad you like the colours. I was going for the whole funny eyes thing, so I'm pleased, though I have just toned down the green for you.

I'm quite the mover actually David, even if I say so myself. Seriously, I might be rubbish at dancing but I enjoy it so who cares?

I 1000% agree with you, football is better. But even though I'm in the land of football I don't know anyone who plays. So I need to do something drastic aka join a gym. Painful but necessary.