29/10/2008

Robots are cool

If you had asked me, before I left Brazil, why did I want to come to South Korea, I probably would have made some silly statement about robots, and then answered more seriously about the fascinating culture, excellent standard of living etc. But really, it was all about the robots. So when Bruna asked me if I wanted to go to a robot expo, I was only too happy to go.

The exhibition mainly consisted of big industrial robots that I left me clueless as to their function, toys that were relentlessly manhandled by toddlers, and service robots meant to clean your home. Their were also competitions where kids had to build their own robots and enter competitions to complete puzzles, win football matches, and navigate mazes. There was also a fascination with dancing robots, and you can see a couple of low res videos of that below.




















Laura Barrett - Robot Ponies


Alexander Robotnick - Dance Boy Dance


My Robot Friend and Antony - One More Try

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the reason why you were so excited about Seoul was because of the fast bandwidth?

The robots of the first video remind me of Public Enemy's S1's.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Well, I suppose that's true, and boy is it fast.

That's ironic as they were dancing to shiny K-pop, a music as far removed from Public Enemy as I can possible imagine.