01/03/2008

Eno


There used to be a really good second hand vinyl shop in Ruislip, north west London, called Sellanby (do you see what they did there?) that I frequented often, as it had loads of classic records for really good prices. I distinctly remember returning home from one successful trip with three records, Devo's Are We Not Men? We Are Devo, David Bowie's Heroes and Talking Heads Fear Of Music. It was only when I was pouring over the sleeves that I realised that the all three of these records were produced by Brian Eno. In my early to mid-twenties, when I really did my homework and discovered the music that I love the most, he was always there, at every turn. Glam rock, check, punk rock, check, new wave, check, experimental music, check, krautrock, check...

The thing with writing about Brian Eno is that it's really daunting. His discography is so vast and all-encompassing, it's impossible to know where to begin. Do I talk about his rock albums, ambient works, Roxy Music albums (they were never the same after he left), production, or even his installations, motivational speeches, journalism, political roles or 'oblique strategies.'

I think it's best to leave all that aside, and let you investigate for yourself, if you haven't already. Suffice it to say, I know that my taste in music would be much poorer if it wasn't for him.

Brian Eno - Seven Deadly Finns (non album, single release, 1974)


Buy Brian Eno Music

March 1st is the national day of ecological tourism

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi James, my names's Graham. I live in Ruislip - have done most of my life (48 years). Just to let you know - Selanby still has one shop in South Harrow, but the owners tell me it will close in 2-weeks - end of an era! Over the years I accumulated 26,000 vinyl records, and much of that must have originated from Selanby!! Just back from Sao Paulo myself (business)...love Brasil!!

AnnaFaith said...

hahaha interesting .... particularly appreciated the 'Sal de Frutas' at the end... I guess I don't know that much about the type of music you are talking about! PS - did you ever get recieve my go on scrabble??? Anna

David N said...

Dude, you know I love me some Eno. A God, a genius, a godlike genius.

If you haven't read it, you should read his journal, "A Year with swollen appendages." Is great - funny, fascinating and illuminating. And download - for free - his "Oblique strategies" widget from the apple site.

Hes the man! Great song, too.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Hi Graham, thanks for letting me know about Selanbys status. I think the South Harrow store is probably the one I was thinking of, it's been long enough since I was there that I can easily confuse my Ruislips with my Rayners Lanes with my Kentons etc. I am amazed to hear that it lasted this long. You should try and buy that amazing collection of picture discs they had on the wall...

Anna - the sal de frutas was a sign that 5 had to right about Eno!

Dave - speaking of which, better late than never eh? I should definitely read his book. Might have a look on Amazon. I downloaded that widget while researching this entry, so for moments where my writing lacks inspiration, I can turn to Mr. Eno for help.

Anonymous said...

I've gotta say that until very recently the rule was almost invariably 'if I hear it and like it chances are there's something to do with Eno with it'. Now his influence is so widespread there are bands that I like that have no direct Eno relationship ... they just mention Eno as an influence!