25/06/2008

Jamesinbrasil's Underrated Albums Number Two: The Entire Recorded Output Of Rocket From The Crypt

I've never been a musician as I don't have the stones to stand in front of a room of strangers and entertain them. But my passion, and I hope my knowledge, of pop music is deep, profound and an essential part of my being. I trust my ears, they have never let me down, which leads to me believe I could be a great svengali, if you are prepared to ignore the admittedly rather central point that they often have more charisma than their charges.

So when I consider the kind of band I would construct, in order to destroy all other pop music through their sheer brilliance, I like to think of them in terms of other bands. A kind of hybrid recipe, if you will. I want power of James Brown and the Famous Flames, I want the catchiness of Abba, the soul of Otis Redding, the oddness of Screaming Jay Hawkins, the humour of Devo, the punk energy of Little Richard and the authority of Public Enemy. Oh, and the brass of Sly and The Family Stone, because I love brass in rock 'n roll.

There are problems with this plan of mine, mainly the fact that it is impossible to be that good, (and anyway, if it were achieved, surely all other artists in all genres would cease to create as it would become obvious that their endeavours were wasted in the face of this new phenomena.) Secondly, someone has already tried it, and they were called Rocket From The Crypt.


The band was formed in San Diego in 1990, and they recorded several fantastic albums of pure rock n roll music, filtered through decades of soul, funk, glam, punk and hardcore. They took all these influences and melded them to some of the most immaculate pop songs of the nineties. You may even remember them for their number twelve UK hit On A Rope, which gave them the opportunity to perform on Top of the Pops.



Of course in a fair and just world the song would have reached number one, and be played at weddings and funerals across the world ad infinitum. Why we don't live in this world has yet to be explained to me yet.

There were many other reasons to love RFTC, aside from the music (as if that's not enough):

1) They wore matching clothes. All the best bands wear uniform. See Devo, the Beach Boys, Talking Heads, Daft Punk, the White Stripes, Kraftwerk etc.

2) They had a roadie who used to come on stage and dance and sing backing vocals. He also wore the uniform.

3) If you tattooed yourself with their logo, you were allowed free entry to shows for life.

4) At Glastonbury, they parted the crowd and persuaded the schmucks to make a huge mud slide.

5) They breathed fire.

6) They had aliases (Speedo, Petey X, ND, Apollo 9, Atom, JC 2000), which is always cool.

But the main reasons, for me, to love RFTC were the incredible live shows and obviously the songs. I guess I was lucky to have been a teenager at a time when bands like this could get on the cover of the NME and been seen performing live on prime time BBC. But this shouldn't be about nostalgia, as even though they split up two years ago, their music is as fresh as it ever was. This is an important band, and should be valued as such. Spread the word and enjoy the punk heat blast.

Maybelline

Hippy Dippy Do

My Arrow's Aim

On A Rope

Lipstick

Ghost Shark

Too Many Balls


French Guy

Proper biography here.

Buy their albums, including R.I.P. the CD / DVD of the final show, here

6 comments:

David N said...

This is your best music-related post ever. More.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

Gee thanks, I'll try. Were you a fan?

David N said...

Not really, got a few songs on compilations, they're ok. As "Rocket from..." bands go, I prefer "Rocket from the Tombs". Ain't It Fun, etc.

Its more the obvious passion you have for them, the amount of information conveyed quite sparingly, and the good choice of mp3s.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I bought a Rocket From The Tombs album just because of the homage. They must have something about 'em, I thought. And they did.

But I would recommend Circa Now and Scream Dracula Scream as absolutely neccessary classics.

Anonymous said...

taken me ages to get round to reading this, and thanks for stirring up all those excellent memories. man i love em so.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

My pleasure friend.