04/09/2008

Apples In Stereo

It's always a relief when supposed legends don't let you down. I had heard the name Silver Apples around, and they were on my mental checklist of artist I need to investigate (a list so long and demanding on my brain space that it stops me from retaining any useful information). So when I finally got around to listening to them, I was delighted to hear that they were worth the wait. They were formed in New York in the late 60's, but they sound more like Germans from the early seventies, with synths, nervy vocals and motorik beats, all Neu and early Kraftwerk. But they were there before, totally out of time and place, like an American BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Their influence on a range of artists, mosty noticeably Portishead, is obvious.

Silver Apples - Oscillations And they still exist, performing and recording, and remixing the kids:

Simian Mobile Disco - Scott 28 (Silver Apples Remix)

Buy Silver Apples records here

No comments: