26/01/2009

Random Thoughts While Listening To Franz Ferdinand - Tonight Franz Ferdinand

Preamble - So around the time of Britpop it was decided, in a board room somewhere, that indie music was to become the new pop, and in the last decade or so, the distinction between guitar bands and popular bands ceased to exist. And, as it has seemed to me that British indie rock has been god awful since that day, I have subsequently looked to the other side of the Atlantic to provide me with my guitar based pleasures. There have been a few, well, very few exceptions to this rule, most notably for me are Super Furry Animals and Franz Ferdinand (who are the last really good English indie band? Discuss). The former weld indie pop sensibities with 60's psychedelia, folk, electronica and anything else that happens to be lying around. Franz Ferdinand are a different proposition. Their early stuff was thought of as part of the whole new post punk movement, but unlike their peers Bloc Party and the Futureheads, they had the ability to combine this aesthetic with the dynamic of 70's pop-rock, your Bowies, Bolans and Ferrys. Seeing them live was more akin to witnessing Ziggy Stardust (without the wardrobe) then Gang Of Four, undoubtedly, because while they used some of the latter's sonic effects, it was the formers swagger and bravado that made them so captivating.

So I'm very interested in this new album, because by the third album the hipsters have decided that you are no good no matter what you record, and the public are seemingly losing interest in British rock, and who can blame them when the best that could be mustered was Razorlight. But I get the feeling that Franz Ferdinand are not too worried about clinging on to past glories, and more concerned with making a great record. I hope they have.

Track 1 - The single, Ulysses, kicks things off. It's got a really nice synth sound, and lalala singalong chorus, so it was a good choice of first single I think. You know it's them instantly too, they have developed their own sound which of course means that eventually they will have to reinvent themselves. Or split up.

Track 2, Turn It On, has another of my favourite things in pop music, distant group backing vocals. Listen to it and see what I mean. More nice synths and a yeah yeah yeah chorus.

Track 3, No You Girls, remember folks, that this is a pop record, so don't go digging around here for lyrical depths and references to Can, it's all about waving your hands, guitar solos, and singing along. Don't be deceived by their sharp suits and skinny ties, their Guardian columns, and definitely by their age. This is a terrific glam rock stompathong.

Track 4, Send Him Away, is slower and vocally reminds me of the Mama's and Papa's for some reason. There's some excellent production here too.

Track 5, Twilight Omens, is a bit spooky, and a million miles away from the bland indie pop that dribbles out of the rest of the British isles on a regular basis. Is that a banjo I can hear?

Track 6, Bite Hard, begins as a ballad. Just Alex and a piano. Then, bang, here comes the pop. When that decision to maItalicke indie the new pop was made, this is what they should have insisted upon. Dynamic, sexy, catchy and fun, inspired by David Bowie, as great a pop star as ever existed.

Track 7, What She Came For. The production on this album is superb. It's crisp and tough. The quality of the drumming, the character of Alex's voice, the guitar hooks, and the synth squeals are emphasised and add to the songs, which were pretty good to begin with.

Track 8, Live Alone. I guess some people will criticise this album for being samey, and it's true to say that there isn't much variety from one track to another. However, this has to be a minor complaint, when you consider how good the songs are. This is one of the weaker songs thus far, and still I can imagine myself singing along at a gig like someone half my age.

Track 9, Can't Stop The Feeling, shows the influence of dance music on the album. It has a bizarre hook straight from some kind of crunky Turkish electro (anyone wishing to capitalise on this new genre should feel free), and a killer bassline, straight from the disco. God I love a killer bassline, they get me every time.

Track 10, Lucid Dreams, stands out because it's nearly 8 minutes long, breaking their 3 minute rule (the next longest track is 3:52). He just mentioned Istanbul, so maybe I was right about that Turkish influence. So far, this track is another indie pop winner, over a pretty juddering electro background. It's a fine combination, and I'm keen to see where it's going to keep going after the 3:52 mark.

This is just 100% electro now. Very Justice. No vocals at all, this is pretty admirable stuff. Actually reminds me of when the Super Furry's The Man Dont' Give... collapses into a techno frenzy. As an electro fan, I'm very impressed, but I'm not sure what the rockists will make of it. The criticism of repetition can no longer be leveled, that's for sure.

Track 11, Dream Again, calms us down after our rave nation exploits, a bit like when the Flaming Lips put one of those lovely instrumentals in the middle of their albums, but more pop. It even has a theremin in it. It's a bit like Susan's House by the Eels.

Track 12, Katherine Kiss Me, is the first acoustic lead track and the albums closer. A tale of romance in a sordid environment, it's a fine song and shows that Franz Ferdinand know how to write a pop song, in all it's various guises.

Post-amble. I think this album is very, very good, possibly their best. You're going to hear these tracks around, and when you do, be grateful that you are listening to something which is so much fun, instead of all that mediocrity that pervades our lives. Hat's off, says I.

Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses (Beyond The Wizards Sleeve Remix)


Buy it here.

14 comments:

jonwclifford said...

I hope I haven't become one of the hipsters you've quoted but to be honest, I wasn't really that excited about a new Franz record. That maybe down to the fact that I haven't really been that excited when they released their previous two. They just seem to be one of those bands who I think I don't care about but when I have a look through my record collection, I find quite a few of their releases on my shelf.
I've had a brief listen to this and can only hope it's a grower. With persevering with records being one of my new years resolutions (and a job where I can listen to music pretty much all day), I'm about to find out I guess.
Wouldn't exactly call them the last great 'english' indie band though. Or am i just misinformed?

David N said...

His voice. Thats my problem with them. Its mannered, his range is tiny, it makes every song sound the same.
Somebody like Bowie had a similar problem but he had the genius to get around it through invention, stylistic changes, working with Eno. Plus his songwriting wasn't bad.
Its good that there are instrumentals on this record, though. Thats one way around it.

Last great British Indie band? .er...er...er

I can't think of any. At all.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I should explain. What with Franz Ferdinand being Scottish (more or less) and Super Furry Animals being Welsh, I was just wondering if anyone could name the last great English indie band? And anyone who says Oasis will be mocked throughout the kingdom.

Are Blur the best we can offer? Or is it Pulp. I guess it's probably Radiohead, at least that's how they started out. Anyone else?

jonwclifford said...

May I controversially put forward the arctic monkeys? Or is it too early to say that? Or do you just disagree entirely? I'm braced for the backlash of that comment.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

You may say the Arctic Monkeys, and then you will be rebuffed by me. They're not terrible, I just don't think they're particularly interesting. I'm aware that Franz are no more original than them, I just find them a lot more enjoyable to listen to. Simple as that really.

jonwclifford said...

Fair enough, having thought about it I was wildly clutching at straws with that comment anyway. I thought the Arctic Monkeys second album was really good. I'm not massively keen on the first, so to call them great might be a tad innacurate on my part. I was more referring to the impact they had on arrival.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

So we can't think of anyone then?

jonwclifford said...

Erm, no.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest Belle and Sebastian? Technically they're on a break. Or I'd also go with Radiohead....but Franz Ferdinand?! No, no, no.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

But they're Scotch!

Anonymous said...

Err, so are Franz Ferdinand. Foo.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I know! Read the above!

Anonymous said...

sorry....I didn't get down that far. Got the attention span of a gnat. :)

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

MTV generation...