07/01/2009

This is not my best best of the year list

Two things that are customary at this time of year: new years resolutions and best of lists. For me these two things are colliding this year. My resolution is to listen to less music, and listen to it more often. Because it is ridiculously easy to acquire new music, I seem to have been on a one man mission to listen to every new release by any band or artist who has even the remotest chance of being interesting, and while in theory it sounds great, what has happened in practice is that I never listen to an album more than once. I also never get to listen to any old music. It's become frankly stupid, and needs to stop.

Subsequently, how can I list my albums of the year? I haven't had time to develop a relationship with any of them, to fall in love or become tired of them. But I do know these things:

1) albums by TV on the Radio, Laura Marling, Santogold, HEALTH, Adem, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Buraka Som Sistema, Beyond The Wizards Sleeve and The Very Best will be listened to again and deserve more attention than I have given them thus far.

2) the Portishead album is my favourite record of the year, and the best comeback since this one.

3) DFA have had an amazing year, and that's without any big releases from LCD Soundsystem.

Hercules and Love Affair:



Holy Ghost:



The Juan Maclean:



Yacht:



Still Going:



4) Anything remixed by Crookers, Fake Blood, Sinden, Herve, Boy 8 Bit, Diplo, Pilooski, Ricardo Villalobos and DJ Donna Summer has got me dancing this year. Well, by dancing I mean, wiggling in my chair, I mean it's not as if I actually go out clubbing or anything...

5) Single of the year:



6) Next year I'm going to have to do a much better round up than this.

So happy new year to you, and thanks for your continuing readership and support. This year, remember, less is more.

5 comments:

jonwclifford said...

Yes I am late. But here goes anyway.

My top 5 albums of 2008 list goes like this:

1) Sons & Daughters - This Gift (I'd decided that this would be my album of the year way back in feb. and still stand by it. Ace!!)

2) Matthew Dear - Asa Breed

3) Hercules & Love Affair

4) Abe Vigoda - Skeleton (Late Entry! Didn't like it at first but it grew on me. A lot).

5)Foals - Antidotes (Didn't want to like it, purely for the fact that I first heard of them whilst flicking through the NME whilst idling when 'working' at HMV and immediately put them in the 'shit NME band' category. Alas, I actually didn't completely dismiss them and Cassius became by far the most frequently listened to track for me in 2008).

Close calls: Health, Roots Manuva, Vivian Girls, TV On The Radio, Breeders, Yacht, Ellen Allien, No Age, Yacht, Portishead and last but not least....








....Metallica!

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I'm just glad someone coughed up their own favourites. And some fine selections, although Matthew Dear was on my list for last year! And as for Metallica, well at least you didn't say Guns n' Roses I suppose.

jonwclifford said...

Ok, so Matthew Dear was out in 2007. But it was re-released in 08 so does that count? Probably not. In that case put roots manuva in at number 5 and shuffle accordingly. Plus, I make no excuses for adding Metallica. None at all. You're lucky I still refuse to listen to the Guns n Roses album.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I know you have a deep, unshakable and inexplicable love for them. I just don't think you get back as much as you put in to the relationship.

jonwclifford said...

It's all about the nostalgia. Plain and simple.