29/03/2007

Fear Of Music


Sorry I haven't posted in the last couple of weeks. I'd love to tell you that I've working 24/7 and haven't had time, but that would be a lie. The truth is that I have been distracted by the combined forces of Pro Evolution Soccer, Grand Theft Auto, and seasons 3 and currently 4 of 24. Oh and we keep getting power cuts (there's nothing like a power cut to remind you how important electricity is. What am I supposed to do, read a book?) And I have been suffering from a general lack of inspiration, enthusiasm or whatever you wanna call it. Doing a blog, can, at times, be a nuisance, so it's bound to happen every now and again. Anyway, I'm back now, so here's part three of the great Talking Heads giveaway.

Fear Of Music
was the third Talking Heads album, and the second produced by Brian Eno. It has two of their finest songs. Life During Wartime, features a typical David Byrne lyric, half about the practicalities of everyday living in that environment, and half about well, nothing really. I Zimbra, their full on afro-funk Fela Kuti homage, with nonsense lyrics and possibly the finest groove ever captured on a Talking Heads record. The extra tracks here include an alternative take on Life During Wartime, which has had a screeching guitar solo added to the song, and a different version of Cities (listen to the opening lyric about London, which seems entirely wrong and still brilliant to me):

Cities [Alternate Version]

Dancing For Money [Unfinished Outtake]

Mind [Alternate Version]

Life During Wartime [Alternate Version]



Checking back I realised that the post for the previous album More Songs About Buildings And Food didn't allow you to download and keep the mp3's. If anybody wants, I will go back and repost them so you can have them. Just let me know in the comments.

EDIT: I have added the aforementioned tracks to the original post. Click here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't suffering from a general lack of enthusiasm, inspiration etc....diagnosed as depression?! Either way, thanks for the tunes and I for one would like you to repost the buildings and food songs.

Not having much luck with bit torrent and downloading in general - is it supposed to be so complicated? Can I just place an order with you for songs you can put on the blog? 'We built this city' by Starship if you please.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

well these things can be seen as signs of depression. they can also be seen as signs of grumpiness, which is similar but not as bad. it can be treated with chocolate and high octane american tv shows. annoying computer things are best avoided. so far the chocolate and guns method is working for me, so i'll stick with that for now...

more buildings songs will be reposted asap.

Sunny Walks said...

I have no enthusiasm and inspiration up the ying yang. I thought I was King of it.

Someone told me it's something to do with 'the human condition' whatever that is - I thought it was to do with playing drunk twister and war.

I'm gonna take the tip about chocolate and guns...but where to get a gun...hmmm.

I would like to request a blog on footballers who have released records please.

David N said...

Ah the weird pressure a blog induces. You feel you should post, even when you have nothing to post about. Where does that come from? Is it the sense that your cyber-pals are out there, waiting, feverish in their anticipation of your lastest missive? Is it just an awareness of the awesome mass of the internet, just waiting to be filled with more tedious rambling?

I don't know, but I sympathise. I also sympathise with playing footy games to the exclusion of all else. But I have no sympathy for anybody dependent upon 24. Oh no.

Talking Heads are, obviously, absolutely ace.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

I think that malaise hits us all because even though we enjoy blogging, at some point every computer can be a pain. And sometimes you don't want to deal with it. I think the pressure to post comes because you have managed to create an (very) small group of people who enjoy what you do, and if you don't post you lose them, and all that kerfuffle is for very little.

I would love to do a post on footballers that sing, but alas I have no available mp3s. If only my vinyl was here. I have a great (not footballer but close enough) Carl Lewis 7". You'd love it. That and the Brighton FA Cup final song of 1983, "The Goldstone Rap" That's right, a rap song released in '83. A team always on the cutting edge you see...

Dave, indulge my 24 fun, please. Everyone is allowed a guilty pleasure. I have 4 seasons of The Wire standing by, if that restores my credibility.

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

'More Songs About...' extra tracks added by the way. see the end of the this blog entry. ta.

art58koen said...

Thank you very much for these!

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

My pleasure! There's more of this on the way