26/09/2006

Does Humour Belong In Music Pt. 2?


The above picture I think, is possibly the greatest photo ever, indeed it adorned my desktop for months. It is a picture of 'Weird Al' Yankovic being kissed by a whale. Say no more. I guess 'Weird Al' is most famous in the UK for his '84 hit 'Eat It'. But in the US he's huge, and I think he's great. I have a real soft spot for comedy music, which is shaky ground, I know, but I guess I'm so obsessed with music it can include this much derided genre.

'Weird Al' has a new album out (buy it on import here) and it continues a tradition that I am very keen on. Every album contains a medley of contempory pop hits in a polka style. Listen to this and tell me it's not genius:

'Weird Al' Yankovic - Polkarama!

Go on I dare you. Then listen to:

'Weird Al' Yankovic - Pancreas

It's an extremely well observed Beach Boys and Brian Wilson parody, based around the latters Smile album. Listen to all the fantastic instrumentation he uses to recreate the sound of the album. It's brilliant. And it's about his pancreas. Its also appropriate that he uses Smile as a template for a song, as Brian Wilson's original concept for the album was that it should be funny as well as moving. But I think he has such an odd mind, that what was funny for him just sounds weird to us.

And there is a very good 'Trapped In The Closet' parody for you R Kelly fans, and I know there is an army of you out there.


I get the feeling I might be alone on this one...

2 comments:

David N said...

Mario Rosenstock - Irish comedian, played the title role in the I, Keano musical, impersonated Mourinho so successfully at Chelsea's Christmas party that he was able to ring up injured players and convince them he was the real thing - also does comedy songs. Has had a Xmas No 1 in Ireland.

He not in Weird Al's class, obviously, but I love this :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-_ppN2szPVc

hf,c,.jgvkhbj,. said...

its pretty good - was this really christmas no. 1? it's about the only excuse for covering ronan that i can think of.